Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday - What do you want me to do for you?

There were two blind men sitting by the roadside.  When they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!"  The crowd sternly ordered them to be quiet; but they shouted even more loudly, "Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!"  Jesus stood still and called them, saying, "what do you want me to do for you?"  Matthew 20:29-34

Burtness writes this in commentary:  "Instead of continuing on, staying on schedule, and doing what's expected of him, Jesus stops, stands still, and asks the men a question.  He focuses on what they need and what only he can give."

I am so reminded of the many times when I have so many things on my plate I just walk by people with never a notice.  It is so easy to get so full of what I want to do, that I forget to notice some people along the way.  At times I miss an opportunity to stop and listen to someone who might be hurting.  In my pursuit of the end goal, I may forget to consult with others along the way. 

Jesus always takes the time to listen to the cries of the faithful.  I'm reminded of Luther's explanation of the 2nd commandment - Take not the Lord's name in vain.  It is really a command to pray.  When you pray to God - in God's name - expect him to listen. 

Perhaps the lesson today is to slow down enough to notice the people we encounter along the way.  And by faith we can trust that there is enough time, enough resources, enough of everything to simply lend a listening ear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment