Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday - Will You Lay Down Your Life for Me?

Peter said to him, "Lord, why can I not follow you now?  I will lay down my life for you."  Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me?  John 13:37-38a

Giving up my life for Jesus?  A question that perplexes me.  I read about martyrs like Oscar Romero or missionaries who take their entire families into the nether places of the world and I think, "Could I really do that?"  The irony is there are some people who think serving in northern Minnesota is kind of like being a missionary in a far away place!

In many ways, we in America have had an easy go of Christianity in recent history.  We have not had to stand up to anyone threatening to outlaw our religion.  We have freedom to exist with many different expressions of Christianity.  We are willing to set aside our weekly worship to pursue other interests. 

But when Jesus asks Peter, he could be asking us, "Will you lay down your life for me?"  This causes one to think!

The truth is we could never do what Jesus did in giving up his life for the salvation of the creation.  We need Jesus to be the one who willing goes to the cross to save us from ourselves.  But there is room for us to ponder this question, especially in the context of examining our Christian faith active in our lives and in the world today.  What does it mean to simply live our lives in the calling of Jesus?  What changes do I need to make to grow closer to the risen Christ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment