Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pastor Isaacson's Continuing Education

I had applied and was accepted to attend a continuing education event at Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, MI. The seminar is titled, “Digital Pluralism and the Death and Resurrection of the Church.” Basically, we’ll be looking at the effects our pluralistic society has had on the church, looking at the things we have done to contribute to this, and what are some solutions/things-we-can-do to address the decline in attendance in traditional church and how can we move forward as an engaging and meaningful faith expression of the Christian church. 

I will try to contribute daily to my blog (no promises!) and encourage responses and questions as I engage with the instructor and other participants in learning and discussion. I also had “homework” to prepare for this seminar.  Two books: Preaching at the Crossroads by David Lose (who is leading the seminar) and Christianity After Religion by Diana Butler Bass. We were also asked to watch two movies before attending: Pleasantville and Big Fish.  I commend them to you. They are very much on the creative side of film-making so don’t expect a “normal” movie experience.  I would love to hear your impressions. 


We’ll also be looking at fall lectionary texts to see how we might apply our learning to our preaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment